MENTAL HEALTH SERVICES AT PSYCARE DURING COVID-19 LOCKDOWN
As the saying goes, “EXTRA- ORDINARY SITUATIONS NEED EXTRA ORDINARY MEASURES.” We need to prepare ourselves for the current prevailing threat.
As all of us are aware, the Covid-19 pandemic related Lockdown is completing 1 week today and will go on till 15 Apr 2020. As difficult as it may seem, the 21-day lockdown for India is the right decision to prevent the spread of this disease and the devastating impact it can have on our physical and mental health. But, social distancing and isolation for weeks can also take a toll on mental health.
I am reaching out to you during these difficult times to express my solidarity as we jointly fight the battle against coronavirus pandemic. We, as responsible Mental Health professionals have many concerns for our patients & their families. I am sharing with you some ideas that my Team at PsyCare have implemented for your help.
- Emergency & Important Mental Health Services
Our Team continues to provide Emergency services at our location 24 X 7. In case any of you or people you know needing such help may be directed to us.
- Online Consultation- PsyCare App
Those of you who are already under treatment follow-up with us, may have adverse consequences on stopping follow up abruptly. Since you cannot travel please download our App (from Google Play Store/ Applestore) and make use of Online Consultation with our Psychiatrists/ Psychologists.
- Hospitalisation/ Inpatient Care-
The facility of Inpatient care is being continued under the provisions of Mental Healthcare Act, 2017, especially in the prevailing crisis situation provided for u/s 94 (4) of the Act.
- OPD Services & Medication–
Limited OPD services are functional for those of you who can get an exemption for in the Lockdown for your Mental Health condition to seek Medical Help. We will also strive to make Door delivery of medications (T&C apply) since uninterrupted treatment is imperative with sudden stoppage causing relapse/ withdrawal/ worsening of condition
Note: All appropriate precautions as prescribed by MOHFW/ WHO/ Other relevant authorities are being taken for “Distancing” while providing these services.
Mental disorders can be severe or life-threatening disorders; therefore, our treatment facilities must stay open as long as possible. E-therapy and e-counselling services allow us to maintain our therapeutic relationships with many of our patients and their families. We are providing Free Online Consultation through our own PsyCare App.
Our Psychiatrists and Psychologists are working tirelessly 24×7 providing consultation and counselling through the PsyCare App. We have received so many positive feedbacks of people from across India who have downloaded the PsyCare App and received free consultation from PsyCare doctors.
If your mental or emotional state quickly gets worse, or you’re worried about someone you know- help is available. I encourage you to download the PsyCare App.
SOME GENERAL REMARKS ON MENTAL HEALTH ON COVID- 19 PANDEMIC LOCKDOWN
Mental health conditions like anxiety disorders due to false news, Depression due to social isolation leading to increased abuse of drugs, binge drinking, chain smoking, suicidal attempts, domestic abuse etc.; further capitulating into deterioration of mental health, immunity and susceptibility to infection. The vicious cycle needs to be broken for positive outcomes out of the lockdown and social isolation. Here are few tips for battling substance abuse and improving mental health condition.
- COVID – 19 has been in news for a few months on now and has created panic all around the globe including India.
- It also has led to an outburst of non-scientific and unreasonable hoax curative claims.
- This increases the confusion and anxiety among the population at large trapped between their religious beliefs and scientific facts.
- Not only physical but the mental health of people is at risk and we need to address the problem pertaining to the same.
- Take breaks from watching, reading, or listening to news stories, including social media. Hearing about the pandemic repeatedly can be upsetting.
- Take care of your body. Take deep breaths, stretch or meditate. Try to eat healthy, well-balanced meals, exercise regularly, get plenty of sleep, and avoid alcohol and drug.
- Make time to unwind. Try to do some other activities you enjoy.
- Connect with others. Talk with people you trust about your concerns and how you are feeling.
My further request to you-
- Please continue to contribute to this lockdown by practising social distancing and washing and sanitizing your hands regularly
- We have created a lot of high quality and well-researched content at PsyCare on managing stress during COVID-19 to help you make informed decisions. Please make access it through our website and our social media handles.
- Please do not miss your consultations or your medications
Do not treat this period as a time for social gathering or as a vacation. But be responsible and follow the rules of social distancing. Avoid drugs/ alcohol/ smoking or in unavoidable situations set limits to consumption and keep a record and share the details with your deaddiction doctor and ask for help.
Be well, and stay safe,
Dr. Asif Iqbal Ahmed